Lunar Eclipse.

Caught a couple photos of the lunar eclipse tonight around 10:10 - 10:15 PM.
Unfortunately, my camera felt like being deceptive tonight, giving me a good half battery indicator before heading outside (having taken about 180 shots previously), then 1/4 battery immediately after exiting my garage, and then dead 6 shots later. It's also unfortunate that it died before it was in full phase.

Also unfortunate is the fact that I have a flimsy old tripod that is probably designed for a compact point and shoot, and all my shots are slightly blurred. The extent of motion from me was press button, release grip. Maybe I totally suck at releasing things from my Hulk-like grasp, but I like to think a sturdier tripod would have been able to handle the pressing of a button. Anywho, whether or not I am at fault, this is the best picture of the bunch. Unfortunately, my lens is short so I couldn't get some awesome shot where you can count the craters. What you see is a 100% crop of part of the picture. The moon was literally a speck in my viewfinder. An unimpressive photo, I know. Shut up and enjoy it.

Taken at 55mm, F/5.6, ISO 400, 5 sec exposure.

I need new lenses and it is maddening trying to decide between the pairs I've picked out. Same prices in the comparison groups, all get good reviews, none are frequently recommended over the others. I've also become aware that I will need a new tripod.

In other news, Blu-ray has won the format war against HD-DVD. It makes me a little happier knowing the Blu-ray player in my PS3 isn't obsolete (yet), but I don't watch movies to really care enough. I'm mostly happy because this hopefully means less Blu vs HD news cluttering my RSS feeds.

Until next time, you stay classy San Diego.

No comments: